Saturday, April 12, 2014

Presentation, Permits, and PVC

There's been a lot of activity since my last post. I was privileged to share my project at the monthly meeting of the Waterview Civic League last Monday, and there were great questions from the audience and a useful suggestion from the police officer assigned to our neighborhood regarding labeling the floats in the case they break free from the piers over the course of the project. I even left with a donation that night (thank you Ms. Jantzen!) and had my largest number of pageviews to the blog immediately following the meeting. I've also been working on the permitting process and delivered the applications to each of the 10 host sites this morning. Those will go to VMRC and they use the permits for reporting purposes to document the scale of oyster replenishment efforts throughout Virginia. Lastly, my Dad and I went to Virginia Beach this morning to pick up some of the PVC donated by Bay Mechanical (special thanks to Ben Phillips for helping secure that donation, and to Jack Goodwin for the use of his pickup!). We spent a portion of the afternoon cutting the PVC into the lengths we will need for the floats. Tomorrow will include some materials purchases and the build/deployment day is just a week away! Thanks for staying tuned, and join us next Saturday at 425 Riverside Drive, Portsmouth, VA 23707 from 9:00-Noon if you're interested in helping with the build!

Me presenting at the Civic League:


Me with Ben Phillips from Bay Mechanical

No comments:

Post a Comment